One of the Core Values of Walnut Hill Presbyterian Church is Contagious Joy. The Elders of the church are presently involved in strategic planning meetings and, despite wondering if we can word this better, have reaffirmed this to be among the things we value.
One problem with joy: It often seems fleeting. Perhpas that is because we sometimes confuse it with happiness. Perhaps it is because we sometime take the narrower – how do I feel about this moment? – perspective. Nevertheless, no doubt there are many, many joy robbers that we all face each day.
The following is a list of suggestions, taken from Desiring God Ministries, that, if embraced, can help us in the fight to cultivate a more constant joy in our lives:
1. Realize that authentic joy in God is a gift.
2. Realize that joy must be fought for relentlessly.
3. Resolve to attack all known sin in your life.
4. Learn the secret of gutsy guilt – how to fight like a justified sinner.
5. Realize that the battle is primarily a fight to see God for who he is.
6. Meditate on the Word of God day and night.
7. Pray earnestly and continually for open heart-eyes and an inclination for God.
8. Learn to preach to yourself rather than listen to yourself.
9. Spend time with God-saturated people who help you see God and fight the fight.
10. Be patient in the night of God’s seeming absence.
11. Get the rest and exercise proper diet that your body was designed by God to have.
12. Make a proper use of God’s revelation in nature.
13. Read great books about God and biographies of great saints.
14. Do the hard and loving thing for the sake of others (witness and mercy).
15. Get a global vision for the cause of Christ and pour yourself out for the unreached.